Culturebean at Police Cops, The Pretend Men

19:39:00

Thanks to Slung Low which I first visited in October, I was lucky enough to grab last minute tickets to the sold out performance of, Police Cops, at the Underground Ballroom in Leeds. And wow am I glad I didn't miss this!

Police Cops, The Pretend Men

The story is absolutely ludicrous. Picture the most stereotypical cop story. Ever. Ham that up to dangerous levels and there is born 'Police Cops' by The Pretend Men. 

Good boy Jimmy Johnson just wants to be the best cop ever in the hope of living up to his big brother's/father's dying wishes. Once you throw in his renegade partner, Harrison, and an evil Mexican drug Lord, you've got yourself one heck of an all American, guns blazing, action packed hour ahead. 

I can't deny the plot smelled of Family Guy, South Park and Anchorman. I even got a whiff of Seth Rogan in there somewhere... It was a pretty gaseous yet oddly sweet concoction I must say. Scent studies have shown 60 percent of the time it worked all of the time. If that made no sense, I don't blame you, and to explain in non-weird terms - I think the same type of crude, stupid humour crosses over. Let' just say all of their closely related parents got freaky, and created this genetically abnormal off spring. Sorry I got weird again. Damn it.

Anchorman Sex Panther

This play was extremely stylised. I don't think I've ever seen a performance like it? The only (made-up) word that comes to mind is cartoon-ified. Their sequences were sharp, in sync and abrupt. Their characters peppy, wide eyed and emotionally unstable. Their scenes made cinematic transitions from dialogue to montages to choreography. Physical theatre was coming out of every orifice! All of that produced using only three actors, an empty stage and some dodgy props. Pretty impressive.

The performance was infectious. Who knew mixing the actor's moments of deliberate ad-libbing (and not so deliberate corpsing) with a dollop of outright crazy one liners would create a recipe that dished out such generous helpings of the giggles. This show is a laugh a minute. No scratch that, it is a laugh a second. No scratch that, it is a laugh a millisecond. No scratch... Ok sorry I'll stop. 

If you want a night out at the movies, but without the price tag or time commitment then this if for you. If you are a regular theatre goer and want to spice up your night then this is for you. If you are a Trump supporter then by god you'll think this is a prediction of the future. Let's make America great again by going back again...

Either way, I've heard 'Police Cops' is illegal in nine countries... So catch it while you can.

Bookface: https://en-gb.facebook.com/thepretendmen/
Tweeterer: https://twitter.com/thepretendmen?lang=en-gb

*this has been crowned the weirdest review I've ever written. It's either due to lack of sleep or the whiff of that odd concoction...


You Might Also Like

0 comments

CULTUREbean

About

I'm a Northern, twenty somthing, cultured blogger named bean (georgina - gina - gene - bean) Hence CULTUREbean.


Writing about cultural events, experiences and places since 2011.


Posts cheeky, fun and creative content that you I hope you enjoy reading.


#culturebean

#culturebeanat

#culturebeansays