Culturebean at Slung Low Shorts at The Holbeck Underground Ballroom, Leeds

18:38:00

When Slung Low Shorts popped up on my twitter feed, I was super excited. Six TV writers with six original short plays within six miles of my current location (that's a slight untruth but it works with the whole 'six' thing) As you can imagine, I booked the free tickets immediately.


To be completely transparent, I missed the first two plays because, well because I am an idiot. I'm normally very organised and plan everything to the final detail, but at this point in life I was overwhelmingly busy. So I sat in the kitsch waiting area, whispering and moaning about the early start. I then decided to re-read my countless, and what should have been very helpful, emails to only see in big bold writing... 7PM START. Doh!


So I've decided, as I am (slung low) short on time, to write four sentence reviews of the four plays.

My Mum The Racist
This play dealt with one of the more gritty topics of the night, in quite a sensitive short. A once loving mother has to choose between her manipulative racist white boyfriend and her typically teenage mixed race son. The leading lady thankfully added some much needed power to this performance of subdued conflict through monologues and freeze frames. Unfortunately, I felt it lacked pace and drama and soon became the short I forgot.

Waiting for Gaga
This proved an exciting part of the night, as we were instructed to wait in the bar area. The short was a really funny comparison of friendships, exploring the dramas of two middle aged women against a pair of snapchat obsessed teenage girls. I went gaga for the older characters as one woman braved a meat bikini, the other some monstrous metallic construction and not to forget the dad with the unexpected attitude. I loved that we became part of the play and ultimately part of the Lady Gaga concert in this down to earth, laugh out loud, super sassy number.

Toodle Pip
The leading lady was a highlight of this play as he energy and character lit up the stage. It was an eye opener to see how some humans struggle on a day to day basis. The play also highlighted just how unhelpful the 'system' is with supporting those who struggle. This performance packed a punch with a generous dose of humour to ease you through.  

When I say I Love You
Quick witted dialogue paired with actors who have excellent comedy timing made this the best play of the night. It followed a mans unrelentless quest to win over his female colleagues affection, which was quite obviously not reciprocated. You could see their relationship develop throughout the work party, with the memorable help of a well endowed blow up penis. A slightly heartbreaking comedy with a touch of love, just the 'friend zone' kind.

They have a 'pay what you decide' policy so I obviously put paper money in the jar. If you attended and didn't pay, shame on you! It was well worth charging for and a reet bargain night.

It is extremely refreshing to see original and unrestrained material, performed by a mixture of new and seasoned actors hosted in such a beautifully transformed venue.

It will have taken a lot of hard work to pull the night together in a very short time frame (I hope it was six weeks or months to keep with the theme) And I hear through the grapevine, or more accurately Google, that there will be another next year. Yipee!

Find out more about this inspiring company here http://www.slunglow.org/slung-low/

You Might Also Like

0 comments

CULTUREbean

About

I'm a Northern, twenty somthing, cultured blogger named bean (georgina - gina - gene - bean) Hence CULTUREbean.


Writing about cultural events, experiences and places since 2011.


Posts cheeky, fun and creative content that you I hope you enjoy reading.


#culturebean

#culturebeanat

#culturebeansays