Robes, Jennifer Saunders and Obama; My Graduation

20:47:00

EDGE HILL UNIVERSITY
So, the big day arrived and it was finally my graduation! Three years of hard work, hard exams and hard... partying. Ok, scratch the last one.

I had been up since 6am. I kid you not, I actually awoke that early. You can probably guess why; I had to wash my hair at least 3 hours prior so it could dry naturally. This stuff matters. So, I dressed into my brand new outfit, a bargain 'all in one' pussycat bow blouse and black pencil skirt. £10 discounted from £35. I know, I couldn't believe it myself! I poured the perfume 'Ghost' all over me, the outfit and I'm pretty sure my boyfriend took a gulp of it accidentally. It's fine, his breath was perfumy fresh  for the rest of the day!

So, there we were, me and my family driving up to Edge Hill University for possibly the last time... ever. Everyone dressed up formally and, if I'm going to be completely honest, warned to be on their best behaviour. My family are fairly nuts. If you look closely on the top of their hands, you can just about make out a faded 'INSANE' stamp. They had to scrub away all night to make it less visible. The institute kindly let them out on day release, since it was such a big occasion. The first 'Cooke' to graduate... and probably the only one at that!

Ok, we arrived. I skipped over (difficult in heels) to collect my gown. I couldn't wait to get the robes and little square hat! It is the most talked about section of graduation. People always want to see what you look like. Nobody ever asks 'let me see your certificate' or 'how were the speeches'. Always, 'let me see a picture!'.

Once my very grand attire had been fitted, I truly felt like a woman. It dawned on me that I had made it. I walked along the lake in the sunshine, hand in hand with my fellow graduate boyfriend, looking over to my proud parents on the other side. It felt like the moment was in slow motion. All it needed was an emotional underscore of music and the scene would be perfect. This was by far the most memorable part of the day.

Lots of pictures were taken (evidence that it had actually happened!) Families and friends all bantered in the sunshine. The Edge Hill ducks floated on the lake simply watching the event pass. The atmosphere was of excitement, nerves and joy. Then we entered the hall!

Now, as expected speeches were an important part of the ceremony. But, who would had imagined that the Chancellor of Edge Hill, Dr Tanya Byron, would be such a comedian! And how many people can say, Jennifer Saunders came to my graduation for an honourary doctorate... no one!

    Dr Tanya Byron                              Jennifer Saunders     
So, Dr Tanya Byron gracefully walked to the podium and was an instant crowd pleaser. She had a couple hundred people laughing away. I can shockingly announce, she rocked the room! She turned to the graduates and said, 'you look like the cast of Harry Potter' and 'ok, I should be commending you on graduation and giving you advice but blah blah blah, I've better stories.' That said, her speech was just as inspiring and profound.

She then went on to tell of my favourite story; how she had kissed the president of the united states, Barrack Obama... twice! The whole room sighed in admiration, mainly jealousy. She was at a meeting in Downing Street, when suddenly someone was in need of eye lash glue. She was ushered down stairs by body guards and had the job of sticking fake eye lashes on to the very precious eyes of the first lady. She then introduced her to Obama. He kindly shook Dr Tanya Byron's hand and kissed her on the cheek, were she then said that, 'my knickers crashed to the floor.' That is fact. I have documented footage as evidence of that statement on the Edge Hill's website video archive.
http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/video/graduation-21-07-2011-2pm-ceremony-10

Next, her famous best friend, Jennifer Saunders came up to make a speech. That Jennifer Saunders from the hit comedy 'Absolutely Fabulous', 'French and Saunders' and most famously known for being at the top of the leader board for Top Gears 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car!' Yes, that's right, a celebrity! Her speech, understandably was at another level of comedy. The jokes skilfully danced out of her mouth, leaving the audience and graduates in stitches. Her speech began with this appropriate statement,
 'I thought I would prepare this speech with the diligence and intensity that so many of you would have put into your exams and essays... so I started late last night!!

She gave advice useful to students. I shall list a couple:
- Spots never end.
- Pot noodles have no nutritional value; you have to eat vegetables or you will die.
- Girls, shoes are important and don't let anyone tell you any different.

A couple serious ones:
- Be confident.
- Don't be afraid of change.

She left centre stage to let us graduates, well, graduate! I stood at the side of the red carpet, heard my course BA (Hons) Creative Writing and Drama announced following my full Christian name. 'Georgina Mary Cooke'. My smile couldn't have been any wider, my parents eyes couldn't have been full of any more water and my life couldn't have been any more amazing.

3 years of hard work, for 3 seconds of shaking a hand. Officially my degree was complete!

The quote of the evening, announced by the chancellor, was strong, passionate and inspiring.
'You must be the change you want to see!' 
(Mahatma Gandhi)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

CULTUREbean

About

I'm a Northern, twenty somthing, cultured blogger named bean (georgina - gina - gene - bean) Hence CULTUREbean.


Writing about cultural events, experiences and places since 2011.


Posts cheeky, fun and creative content that you I hope you enjoy reading.


#culturebean

#culturebeanat

#culturebeansays